1. Power Snack: If you’re an adult reader who tends to favour long novels or nonfiction, Full Moon Lagoon is literary goodness that will satisfy the fiction munchies. It’s a quick and easy snack: the writing flows and the plot propels readers forward with well-timed, sweaty-palmed anticipation. Nourishing literary trail mix: time travel, adventure, real world history, unpredictable plot, and characters that linger with a slightly salty aftertaste.
2. Historical Nudge: In the case of history, a reminder is a doorway, and this is exactly what Full Moon Lagoon is; it reminds the reader of something that shouldn’t be forgotten by portraying one family’s experience, which is all that’s needed to enter the doorway. Once through, you feel the full weight of this part of Canadian history, and you gain insight that may not have been found from outside. Rather than forced history, it’s an enticing nudge.
3. Gift Potential: Do you keep a “gift list” of books for young people that reinforce positive values? Put this book on your list; it’s loaded! Diversity, forgiveness, family, inclusion, nature, the wisdom of elders, community. The young characters look out for one another and put the needs of others before their own. And if you keep a “Just for Fun” list for the kids in your life, put it on that one, too.
4. Dialogue Spark: This book is going to prompt some questions from the young people who read it. You might be presented with opportunities to discuss some Canadian and world history, discrimination and fear, and ways to be with the “Differents” in our lives—our own Differents and those of others. If you love literature that creates conversation and encourages critical thinking in young people, this is a book to read and share.
5. The Artwork: The book cover and illustrations inside were created by Cortes artist Lisa Gibbons who sketches, paints, and blends multi-media into her land- and sea-inspired art. In Full Moon Lagoon, Lisa's art is where the magic is stored—an abracadabra spectacle on the cover and an intriguing sleight of hand with every chapter.
Full Moon Lagoon at FriesenPress
Full Moon Lagoon at Amazon
Meet the Editor
I'm Coreen, and I am a copy editor, writer, instructor, digital marketer, and student of PR and Communications for organizations doing positive work in the world.